List of Recent Publications and Periodicals
Ohara Institute for Social Research
- Ohara Institute for Social Research, ed. Nihon Rodoundo Shiryo Shusei 1945-2005 [Collections of Historical Materials of the Japanese labor movement, 1945-2005], Junpo sha.
- These 13 volume books compile about 7000 historical materials of the postwar Japanese labor movement according to historical periods* and to topics. Many historical materials included in the collections are original materials possessed by Ohara Institute, some of which are made public for the first time.
* the main themes and periods covered by the 13 volumes are as follows (As of April 2006, Volumes 1, 3, and 4 have been published):
- Volume 1: The Start of the Postwar Labor Movement (1945-1946)
- Volume 2: Economic Recovery and Changes in the SCAP's Policies (1947-1949)
- Volume 3: The Start of Sohyo-led Labor Movements (1950-1954)
- Volume 4: The Start of Spring Offensive (Shunto) and the Development of the Sojyo-led Movements (1955-1959)
- Volume 5: From the Movement against the Revision of the U.S.-Japan Security Treaty and the Labor Dispute of Mitsui Miike Coalmine to the Formation of Domei and IMF-JC (1960-1964)
- Volume 6: Struggles for the Ratification of ILO Convention 87 and the Anti-Vietnam War Movements (1965-1969)
- Volume 7: The Development of "People's Shunto" (1970-1974)
- Volume 8: The (public corporation workers') Strike for the Right to Strike (1975-1979)
- Volume 9: The Efforts to Unify Confederations led by Private-Sector Unions (1980-1984)
- Volume 10: The Dissolution of Sohyo and Dome and the Formation of Rengo, Zenroren, and Zenrokyo (1985-1989)
- Volume 11: The Labor Movement after the Collapse of the Bubble Economy (1990-1994)
- Volume 12: The New Direction (of the Japanese-style management) proposed by Nikkeiren (1995-1999)
- Volume 13: Deregulations and the Labor Movement (2000-2005)
- Appendix: general index, statistical data
- Ohara Institute for Social Research, ed. (Main texts authored by Toshihide UMEDA) 2001. Poster no Shakaishi - Ohara Shaken Korekushon [Social History of Propaganda Posters: From Ohara Institute For Social Research Collections], Hituzi Shobo Publishing, Co. Ltd.
- This book is about posters and stickers of social and labor movements in the pre-1945 period. It shows about 200 posters and stickers, and explains social and political contexts in which these movements used posters and stickers to propagate their causes.
- Ohara Institute for Social Research, ed. 1999. Nihon no Rodo Kumiai
100nen [the 100 Year History of Japanese Labor Unions], Junpo Sha.
- It records the history of labor unions and social
movements in Japan from 1987 to 1999 in one volume (851 pages). The book
consists of the chronological explanation of labor unions and social movements
(each section covers events in one year), re-prints of historical materials,
charts of union splits/merger in the post-1995 period (by industry), chronological
tables of labor, social, and political issues, and statistical data. More
detail (in Japanese).
- Ohara Institute for Social Research, ed. Nihon Rodo Nenkan [the
Labor Yearbook of Japan], Junpo Sha.
- The Labor Yearbook of Japan is published annually.
First issued in 1920, it is the oldest specialized yearbook published
in Japan. As of 2001, 73 volumes have appeared, including two volumes
covering the wartime period. It concisely summarizes labor, social, and
political issues of one year. Major topics of the yearbook are: labor
economy and workers' livelihood, labor management and labor relations,
trade unions and the labor movement, social and political movements, and
labor and social welfare policies. More
detail (in Japanese).
- Marx Keizaigaku Lexicon [Marx Lexicon of Political Economy] , Ohtsuki
- A fifteen-volume series on the major concepts
and themes discussed in the works, unpublished manuscripts and correspondence
of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. The series is arranged topically on
such issues as competition, methodology, historical materialism, crisis
and currency. The original German text and Japanese translation are printed
on facing pages. The Marx Lexicon was published by Ohtsuki Shoten. The
publication of the series started in 1968 and was completed in September
1985. In October 1993, the Auvermann Company in Germany published the
European edition of the Marx Lexicon of Political Economy. A popular edition
of the series, excluding the original German texts, was published by Ohtsuki
Shoten in May 1993.
- Nihon Shakai Undo Shiryo [Historical Documents of Japanese Social
- This project reprints publications and primary
materials of social and labour movements. As of March 1995, Hosei University
Press has published six volumes of original historical materials and 194
volumes of organizations' periodicals. A total of 205 volumes have been
issued to date.
- Ohara Institute for Social Research, ed. 1995 Shin-pan Shakai Rodo
Dai Nenpyo[Chronological Tables of Social and Labour Movements New Edition],
- A historical chronology from 1858 to 1994 of labor
and social movements is organized in six categories: politics, economy,
labor movements, social movements, society & culture, and international.
Sources are indicated for all 35,000 entries, and explanatory notes have
been added for 5,200 major items. The chronological table was originally
published in 1986, and was updated in 1995. It comes in two volumes: the
main volume (1341 pages) and the index volume (349 pages).
〔Dec.19, 1999, rev. May 15 2006, Akira Suzuki〕